Saturday, December 19, 2009

Trying to be crafty

It was my intention to knit gifts for my kids and grandkids for Christmas. I don't think I am going to have very many go give out on December 25. I made mittens for each of the grandchildren, but gave them out around Thanksgiving because the weather was turning colder, and the mittens were finished. I decided to knit something for Liz, Rob, Dan and Jill. Mark and Alan don't really need knitted items since they live in Mesa, Arizona, and besides, Mark knits. Anyway, I started a scarf out of some gorgeous yarn that I bought last summer from my friend Karen--she raises sheep, goats and alpacas (and used to own a donkey named Samson!), but I didn't like the way the scarf was turning out so it has been frogged (you know, ripped out-- rip it, rip it). Then I signed up for the Seward mitten program where you select a mitten from one of the local merchants and get all the gifts on the list and then they give the gifts to a needy child. There were four items on the list which fit nicely with the four of us who work in HR so we did that instead of buying gifts for each other. Be default I got the item "Hat and Mittens" and of course, I made those. Two hats, though, because the first didn't turn out as nice as I had hoped. I did find some beautiful yarn at The Yarn Shop in Lincoln and turned out one nice scarf, and then I got half way through another, but I know I am going to run out of yarn. So, now I have 5 days left and no hope of finishing hand made gifts for my kids. Plus, I am kind of tired of knitting! I think they will get checks!


Here is a picture of Samson taken by my son-in-law's dad, Rich. He was here visiting last week and got a shot of me slogging through the snow to feed Samson.

No comments: