Friday, March 7, 2008

Some deer friends

It was just about dusk and I noticed our cat, Kitty Meow, concentrating intently on something outside. She was standing/sitting on her back feet and looking out the patio door. I got down on the floor next to her to see if I could figure out what she was looking at, but did not really notice anything. Marge looked out and she did notice something moving in the tall grass near the tree line. I was surprised to see a doe and an almost grown fawn browsing through the grass fairly close to the mowed part of our yard. We watched them for about 15 minutes and the fawn actually came down into the yard pretty close to the deck. Both were very cautious, slowly walking a few steps, stopping to eat a little grass, then both heads would suddenly be up, with ears perked and noses sniffing. Then they would relax for a minute and repeat the whole process. I watched the fawn nibble on my new lilac bushes, but I know it is not the first time because I checked them earlier in the week--not much left. The rabbits are also eating them. I'll be surprised if we have any when/if spring ever arrives. By the time it was almost dark the deer were heading south, having jumped the barbed wire fence, and were walking along the tree line.

No comments: